Wednesday 8 June 2011

Wolvesonly Review of the Apex Bean Bag

It's actually as much a customer service experience as it is a gear review. When I ordered my Apex Bean Bag from Essential Photo Gear I had visions of using it from my car with a Wimberley style head attached so I could shoot with my Nikon 600mm lens from my car. When it arrived I promptly filled it up with sunflower seeds, mounted my Jobu BWG Pro head and ran out to the car to give it a try. In the video of the Apex Bean Bag they depict the Apex with a long telephoto lens being used from a truck. When I mounted the Apex on my Honda Accord which obviously has less window clearance then a truck (15 inches to be exact) I did not have the clearance from the top of the door frame to the top of the lens which meant this bag was not going to work for my intended use unless I bought a Jeep which for some reason I was unsuccessful selling to my wife. LOL

Now here's my real reason for writing this blog. What I expected when I contacted the supplier with this issue is that they would advise me to send it back and they would refund my money. SURPRISE, SURPRISE what I got was this response from Travis Peltz, "Give me the measurements for your car's window frame and I will design a bean bag that will work for you." Seriously, in 2011 how often do you get that kinda of service. I can't begin to tell you how impressed I was in dealing with Travis. Sixteen email exchanges and two design iterations later and presto the Low Profile Apex Bean Bag was born. The Low profile version sits a full 4 inches lower then the original Bean Bag and works great from my Honda Accord so needless to say I am a happy camper. Long story short, if you own a car and need a great bean bag for use with a long telephoto lens and Wimberley style head then the Apex Low Profile should be high on your list.

3 comments:

  1. I've used this bean bag for 6 months now and love it. I flip it upside down for my larger lenses and use it from the roof of my car as well which makes for a very stable platform.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post tells a great review about the bean bag. Useful information

    ReplyDelete
  3. The post is a review of Apexbean bags. Useful infromation

    ReplyDelete